Re: Vehicle Location Information

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 3:44 PM,  <ta-hirabayashi@kddi-ri.jp> wrote:
> Thanks Kevron-san.  See my comments in line below:
>
> 1 - Is the geolocation API good enough for vehicles?  If not, we need
> to work with that group to fix it.
>
> #1 As mentioned, the geolocation API is not good enough for vehicles.
> We need some correction of positioning data acquired by the geolocation
> API
> for vehicle in Japan.

Is the correction done in the implementation or the API?  What
additional APIs do you need other than what the geolocation API
provides?  The Location API we had in our spec had even less
information than what is available today in the geolocation spec.

I guess what I'm trying to clarify is that the geolocation API
implementation in a vehicle need not be the same as a mobile phone
implementation.  While Position.coords.latitude
(http://dev.w3.org/geo/api/spec-source.html#position) might not be
very accurate in a mobile phone, the implementation of the same API
can be very accurate in a vehicle (due to different antenna
positioning, additional data from the vehicle, dead reckoning, etc.).
But the API is the same in both.

If there are vehicle-specific APIs that need to be added for location
other than what's already in the geolocation spec, I'd like to know
what those are.  Otherwise, we should assume that the geolocation api
implemented in a vehicle will have the most accurate fix possible
-which means it will be a different implementation than a simple
mobile implementation.

-Kevron