Geo-fencing for responsible use of spatial data from vehicles

From: Ted Guild <ted@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 15:23:05 -0400
To: Joseph Abhayaratna <joseph.abhayaratna@geoscape.com.au>
Cc: "public-sdwig@w3.org" <public-sdwig@w3.org>, public-automotive <public-automotive@w3.org>
Hi Jo and Spatial Data experts,

The Automotive group would like to be able to come up with a modest set
of parameters that could influence whether an application is permitted
to sample data on a vehicle.

We already have granular access control for signals so an application
should be restricted to only information deemed pertinent and would
likely only send a subset off the vehicle for bandwidth/cost/privacy
considerations. We figure we can influence the access control
authorization system based on additional parameters.

As to thoughts on parameters for restricting data collection we have a
few that initially come to mind:

* Time of day, concept of eg off-work hours and personal use of company
vehicle
* geofence boundaries**
* explicit opt-in/out override on a whole as well as granular per data
point, specific purpose

Geo-fencing in particular is what I'm hoping to get input from the OGC
+others crowd in SDW group.

The shape of the "fenced" area can vary. We are hearing in practice,
the privacy settings may involve user drawing an amorphous shape on a
map, specify municipalities, counties, regions or give a radius.
Representing that concisely is our problem. A simple rectangular shape
would require four sets of coordinate, radius one coordinate and a
distance plus means to calculate, county or other geographic boundary
could be a look-up based on current location, and a free drawn shape
more complex.

Is there a geo-fencing definition convention or standard that might
facilitate?

If there are other thoughts this question provokes or suggested
references, please share.

https://www.w3.org/auto