W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-automotive@w3.org > March 2021

Re: SOSA/SSN/Time experiences

From: Ted Guild <ted@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2021 12:57:31 -0500
Message-ID: <3aa2f130ef8257b7736ba71bf5ce0f92ecac5cd1.camel@w3.org>
To: "Cox, Simon (L&W, Clayton)" <Simon.Cox@csiro.au>, "Little, Chris" <chris.little@metoffice.gov.uk>
Cc: "Daniel.DW.Wilms" <Daniel.DW.Wilms@bmw.de>, "Benjamin.Klotz@eurecom.fr" <Benjamin.Klotz@eurecom.fr>, public-automotive <public-automotive@w3.org>
Minutes from SOSA/VSSo conversation

https://www.w3.org/2021/02/24-auto-minutes.html 

On Fri, 2021-02-12 at 12:03 -0500, Ted Guild wrote:
> Invite going out to those in cc for 24th at 6 Melbourne, 14 Boston,
> 21
> Tel Aviv, 20 Berlin/Paris, 19 London.
> 
> Simon, do please extend invite to Maxime Lefrancois and/or kindly
> make
> introductions.
> 
> Daniel, perhaps worth inviting Felix or one of the other Bosch guys
> from the last VSSo call if you agree and have their contact info.
> 
> On Thu, 2021-02-04 at 16:36 -0500, Ted Guild wrote:
> > Not a rush, we can let the dust settle and give you some time to
> > unpack
> > boxes. 
> > 
> > Trying to find something on 24 February not too painful.
> > 
> > https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?iso=20210224&p1=43&p2=676&p3=37&p4=136&p5=152
> > 
> > 
> > Meanwhile, if any resources come to mind please do share. Similarly
> > we
> > can discuss here and/or in github.
> > 
> > As mentioned, we refactored the underlying VSS and taking a fresh
> > look,
> > so in particular if there are examples of or guidance for modular
> > design principles of sensor based, spatial, temporal data that has
> > come
> > your way, please relay.
> > 
> > EDM at a similar stage but many of their use cases are more static
> > than
> > sensor backed, lifecycle of vehicle so still temporal and spatial
> > but
> > less sensor. In a presentation in their call earlier this week,
> > they're
> > taking some cues from:
> > 
> > https://schema.org/ProductGroup
> > https://schema.org/isVariantOf
> > 
> > On Wed, 2021-02-03 at 02:48 +0000, Cox, Simon (L&W, Clayton) wrote:
> > > I'm flat out over the next week, moving house. I hope things will
> > > have settled down by about Thursday. 
> > > I have the following regular early meetings so these times are
> > > NOT
> > > available
> > > 
> > > - Mondays 19:00 UTC (Tuesday for me of course)
> > > - Wednesdays 20:30 UTC (Thursday)
> > > - Thursdays 21:00 UTC (Friday) 
> > > 
> > > And then there are assorted one-offs. 
> > > 
> > > Simon 
> > > 
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From: Ted Guild <ted@w3.org> 
> > > Sent: Wednesday, 3 February, 2021 09:15
> > > To: Cox, Simon (L&W, Clayton) <Simon.Cox@csiro.au>; Little, Chris
> > > <
> > > chris.little@metoffice.gov.uk>
> > > Cc: Daniel.DW.Wilms <Daniel.DW.Wilms@bmw.de>; 
> > > Benjamin.Klotz@eurecom.fr; public-automotive <
> > > public-automotive@w3.org>
> > > Subject: SOSA/SSN/Time experiences
> > > 
> > > Hi Simon and Chris,
> > > 
> > > Besides my modest role in supporting Spatial Data on the Web, I
> > > have
> > > a more substantive one leading our Automotive standards effort.
> > > 
> > > At the center is a common data model for the information
> > > available
> > > about a vehicle, static and dynamic coming from sensors. For in-
> > > vehicle use we've come up with a protocol and are using JSON but
> > > in
> > > the cloud you won't be surprised to hear that we're using an
> > > ontology
> > > that Eurecom (part of Institut Mines-Télécom) and BMW has come up
> > > with an ontology. IMT has made a Member Submission [1] to enable
> > > standards development.
> > > 
> > > Vehicle Signals Specification ontology (VSSo) is comprised of the
> > > underlying common data model for vehicle signals (Vehicle Signals
> > > Specification - VSS [2]), your SOSA/SSN and Time along with core
> > > vehicle ontology [3] done a few years ago by a number of
> > > ontologists
> > > operating in EDM Council/W3C Community Group [4]/[5].
> > > Incidentally
> > > that group is reconvening and will be working on a number of
> > > automotive related ontologies to support broader range of uses.
> > > 
> > > We have refactored the underlying VSS, influenced by how we want
> > > to
> > > see structural changes for use in the cloud, recently making a
> > > 2.0
> > > release.
> > > We will work on tooling to keep VSSo in sync with VSS
> > > developments
> > > and are having some design discussions starting in github [6].
> > > 
> > > It occurred to me to setup a meeting with you to see if you can
> > > impart any wisdom from your and perhaps others' use of SOSA/SSN
> > > and
> > > Time in other ontologies that we might benefit from. We'd be
> > > interested in what led to the extensions [7][8] and what else
> > > might
> > > be in consideration for more. 
> > > 
> > > If you are inclined, I am thinking I should get up early one
> > > morning
> > > EDT to not be too late into the evening in Australia and be
> > > reasonable for Europe. Please propose some times, if necessary I
> > > can
> > > come up with a Doodle.
> > > 
> > > [1] https://www.w3.org/Submission/2020/SUBM-vsso-20201026/
> > > [2] https://genivi.github.io/vehicle_signal_specification/
> > > [3] https://schema.org/docs/automotive.html
> > > [4] https://wiki.edmcouncil.org/display/AUTO
> > > [5] https://www.w3.org/community/gao/
> > > [6] https://github.com/w3c/vsso
> > > [7] https://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-ssn-ext/
> > > [8] https://www.w3.org/TR/2020/NOTE-vocab-owl-time-rel-20200707/
> > > 
> > > --
> > > Ted Guild <ted@w3.org>
> > > W3C Automotive Lead
> > > https://www.w3.org/auto
> > > 
-- 
Ted Guild <ted@w3.org>
W3C Automotive Lead
https://www.w3.org/auto


Received on Monday, 1 March 2021 17:57:46 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Monday, 1 March 2021 17:57:47 UTC