Re: RPC protocols and the path forward.

Hi T,

Apologies, in giving history of the group I didn't say we are
essentially done with VISS. As such I wouldn't necessarily worry about
trying to align WAMP with VISS, just Gen2. Also we decided yesterday
WAMP is a strong contender for RPC proposal we want to have
architecturally similar to Gen2.

VISS has shipped and in some production vehicles. It is fairly
lightweight and we do not have plans to evolve it, the as yet named
'Gen2' is its successor. A name in consideration is VISS version 2,
mentioning to try to avoid future confusion.

Another somewhat confusing part is similar names between VSS and VISS.

Vehicle Signals Specification, VSS is the underlying data model that
VISS API exposes. It is over at GENIVI and we work in close
collaboration with them.

https://github.com/GENIVI/vehicle_signal_specification/

Vehicle Information Service Specification, VISS as mentioned is the
API.

https://www.w3.org/TR/vehicle-information-service/

So the naming you do, inverting domain names as done for Java clases
and elsewhere, for the data model would probably be more appropriate
starting with com.genivi. While W3C has the domain w3c.org it largely
uses w3.org, our Java classes for whatever reason use org.w3c.  I know
it is just an initial assessment but worth clearing up.

Ah, fun with names.

Regards,

--
Ted Guild <ted@w3.org>