[Fwd: Re: RPC protocols and the path forward.]

From: Ted Guild <ted@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 06:59:34 -0400
To: public-automotive <public-automotive@w3.org>
Cc: Tobias Oberstein <tobias.oberstein@crossbario.com>
Forwarding to public-automotive, public-automotive-request used to
subscribe/unsubscribe to the list (for those not in the database for
the group)

https://www.w3.org/auto

attached mail follows:

> Tobias offered to give this group an overview of WAMP and to take a
> look at our Gen2 effort to give his thoughts on how they may possibly
> merge.
>
> https://w3c.github.io/automotive/spec/Gen2_Core.html
> https://w3c.github.io/automotive/spec/Gen2_Transport.html

fwiw, I've looked through these 2 specs (and the VSS). anticipating the
actual wamp presentation, here are my first thoughts on mapping vss/gen2
to wamp specifically:

https://gist.github.com/oberstet/efaba6eaaf4170b39550b25d6a28a5cd

but an outright mapping as I understood is not necessarily a goal.
anyways, might be useful nevertheless ..

---

a naive question though:

did anyone actually ever implement a working prototype
VSS+gen2core+gen2transport?

did 2 independent prototypes ever talk to each other?

did anyone put on an app developer hat and scrutinized whether the API
and all that "feels right" (for an app developer)?

^ as in: "rough consensus PLUS working code" ;)

IMO spec authors should both be the first implementors and the first
users. to make sure, the stuff actually works and fits needs.