Re: Services Interface

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 11:49 AM, Ted Guild <ted@w3.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2016-05-05 at 11:08 -0700, Streif, Rudolf wrote:
> > During the meeting in Paris we agreed on a services interface using a
> > RESTfui API for connecting apps running in browser, web runtime or
> > managed runtime to the vehicle platform.
> >

> > Rather than reinventing the wheel and creating yet another protocol, I
> > would like to suggest to leverage OCF and IoTivity for that. The OCF
> > protocol is is RESTful over CoAP.
> >

> > Doing so would, in my opinion, be of benefit to everyone involved:
> >       * help OCF with defining the vehicle domain,
> >       * help W3C with an actual implementation of the server usign
> >         IoTivity,
> >       * help GENIVI since Samsung (Sanjeev's team) already has demoed
> >         the integration of IoTivity with RVI,
> > Leveraging the existing technologies, integrate and develop the
> > standard and specification in parallel would put our effort on an
> > accelerated path and help drive fast adoption.
>
> Agree on not re-inventing wheels.
>
> I learned while talking with Fulup Le Foll at the Genivi event that AGL
> is doing REST with OpenAPI and websockets.  We should also see what they
> have.  I asked for any pointers (links) and setting up a call next week
> on this topic and trying to engage AGL.
>
> I suppose OpenAPI and Swagger describe the "how" but not the "what". It's
a meta-language for API definition. So it could be used to describe
whatever we want even an already existing API.

--
*Rudolf J Streif*
System Architect - Open Source Initiative

*M:* +1.619.631.5383
*Email:*  rstreif@jaguarlandrover.com

UK: G/26/2 G02 Building 523, Engineering Centre, Gaydon, Warwick, CV35 ORR
US: 1419 NW 14th Ave, Portland, OR 97209
jaguar.com | landrover.com
-------------------
Business Details:
Jaguar Land Rover Limited
Registered in England No: 1672070

This e-mail and any attachments contain confidential information for a
specific individual and purpose.  The information is private and privileged
and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, please e-mail us immediately.  We
apologise for any inconvenience caused but you are hereby notified that any
disclosure, copying or distribution or the taking of any action in reliance
on the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.

This e-mail does not constitute an order for goods or services unless
accompanied by an official purchase order.