Re: Services Interface

On Thu, 2016-05-05 at 11:08 -0700, Streif, Rudolf wrote:
> During the meeting in Paris we agreed on a services interface using a
> RESTfui API for connecting apps running in browser, web runtime or
> managed runtime to the vehicle platform.
>

> Rather than reinventing the wheel and creating yet another protocol, I
> would like to suggest to leverage OCF and IoTivity for that. The OCF
> protocol is is RESTful over CoAP.
>

> Doing so would, in my opinion, be of benefit to everyone involved:
>       * help OCF with defining the vehicle domain,
>       * help W3C with an actual implementation of the server usign
>         IoTivity,
>       * help GENIVI since Samsung (Sanjeev's team) already has demoed
>         the integration of IoTivity with RVI,
> Leveraging the existing technologies, integrate and develop the
> standard and specification in parallel would put our effort on an
> accelerated path and help drive fast adoption.

Agree on not re-inventing wheels.

I learned while talking with Fulup Le Foll at the Genivi event that AGL
is doing REST with OpenAPI and websockets.  We should also see what they
have.  I asked for any pointers (links) and setting up a call next week
on this topic and trying to engage AGL.

--
Ted Guild <ted@w3.org>
W3C Systems Team