Re: Minutes of GENIVI-W3C coordination meeting, 29-Mar-2016

From: Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah.foster@pelagicore.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 11:44:08 +0200
To: Yingying Chen <yingying@w3.org>
Cc: Philippe Robin <philippe.robin@technoveo.com>, Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>, Paul.Boyes@inrix.com, PHILIPPE COLLIOT <philippe.colliot@mpsa.com>, Magnus Olsson <magnus.olsson@ericsson.com>, jan.murlewski@arynga.com, Project Management Office <genivi-pmo@mail.genivi.org>, public-automotive <public-automotive@w3.org>
On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 9:58 AM, Yingying Chen <yingying@w3.org> wrote:

> Please find the minutes from yesterday's call at:
> http://www.w3.org/2016/03/15-genivi-minutes.html

Thanks Yingying for publishing the minutes.

>From the minutes I can see some discussion about OMA's GotAPI. In Free
Software legal circles I've heard a note of caution on OMA's licensing
terms. While they use the word "open" a lot it appears that in fact it is
not open but rather there are patent rights reserved. This is incompatible
with many Free Software licenses and in fact may be incompatible with
emerging intellectual property praxis as it currently is understood in the
United States; software is increasingly being seen as something that is not
patentable.

It would be good for the W3C automotive business group to state, at this
early stage, if FRAND and similar licensing like the type used by OMA is
preferred or not with regard to W3C promoted standards -- this may have an
impact on who is willing to contribute or not.

Regards,

Jeremiah

--
Jeremiah C. Foster
GENIVI COMMUNITY MANAGER

Pelagicore AB
Ekelundsgatan 4, 6tr, SE-411 18
Gothenburg, Sweden
M: +46 (0)73 093 0506
jeremiah.foster@pelagicore.com

PELAGICORE_RGB_Black_horizontal.png
(image/png attachment: PELAGICORE_RGB_Black_horizontal.png)