Re: Possible Security and Privacy Next Steps

Hi Ted,

That's great, thanks,

>> we should review the various use cases and attack vectors.

Completely agree and believe we should use these to develop a Threat Model
 (focussing on the API and its use), as the type of attacks and their
mitigations will inform what secure implementations of the spec would need
to address.

It wont be perfect, and in fact implementors will need to continually
review, revise and add to it as new threats and types of attack are
identified, but it will help us think about what the security model will
need to achieve in a more organised way.

*>> If Set/Get/Subscribe/Unsubscribe fails because of a security problem
what are the detailed error codes.*

Believe we need a high level view of how we are assuming security might be
implemented. For example, if there are authentication or authorisation
errors, will these be handled using HTTP 401 and 403 errors?

Then if this is the case, more specifically, believe we should define
common error codes that are returned to help ensure that this behaviour is
consistent across different implementations.

For example, believe we would need to define the following error codes for
a HTTP 401

user token invalid
vehicle token invalid
device token invalid (where device is e.g. a component or group of
components e.g. in a vehicle)

So would return a 401 if request should be retried after
user/vehicle/device has renewed its access token.

For cases where the information in the request will never succeed (unless
something else changes e.g. invalid VIN is passed, user does not have a
subscription and needs to pay for one before authorised request can succeed)

HTTP 403 Forbidden

user details invalid
vehicle details invalid
device details invalid

etc (need to add other cases)

Regards,

Kev

*Kevin Gavigan BSc, MSC, PhD, MCP, MCTS*
*Software Architect*
*Connected Infotainment*
*Electrical, Electronic and Software Engineering (EESE)*
Jaguar Land Rover

*Mobile: 07990 084866*
*Email:* kgavigan@jaguarlandrover.com

*Office address:*
GO03/057 • Building 523, Gaydon • Maildrop: (G03)
Jaguar Land Rover • Banbury Road • Gaydon • Warwick • CV35 0RR