From: Birkir Gunnarsson [mailto:birkir.gunnarsson@deque.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2014 9:51 AM
To: public-auto-wcag@w3.org
Cc: Annika Nietzio
Subject: First draft of lang and screen reaer comatibility test (Voiceover
on OSX and iOS to follow, probably later today)

Hey guys

Attached are my observations of xml:lang vs. lang attributes in documents.
I can easily add html to the Excel and then export as a valid html table,
this is actually how I often construct tables.
I would be happy to do this once Voiceover testing is added.

I used Annika's documents as basis but for the first round of tests I delete
the lang attribute and only use xml:lang="de"
For the second round (having differing lang and xml:lang definitions) I set
xml:lang="de" and lang="en"

Results:
Jaws and NVDA both ignore the xml:lang definition altogether.
It does not matter whether we use xml 1.0 transitional or html5 doctypes
(not with screen readers tested).

Interesting observations:
Both Jaws and NVDA use default language when announcing the title of
document when user switches into it from another window regardless of lang
setting.
In Firefox, Jaws announces the title attribute in its default language,
ignoring the language setting of the document.
In IE this is not the case.
NVDA cannot be tested the same way because it does not included the page
title in the virtual buffer document.
My colleague will help me test these things with Voiceover.
I am wrapping up a big contract for my employer, pulled 60+ hours last week
and I am already in the 35+ range for this one, so I will not contribute
much work to my action items today.
The project will be done early next week, if not this Friday, so I expect to
be only week late with my deliverables.
I will be at the meeting though.