Re: [Agenda] WG/CG Telecon Thurs Mar 25 9:00 am PDT

Attendees:  Philippe Milot, Jack Schaedler, Matthew Paradis, Paul Adenot,
Raymond Toy, Hongchan Choi, Christoph Guttandin, Ruth John.

Minutes:

   - Admin
      - Daylight savings in the US starts Mar 14, so the meetings will be
      9am PDT.  I think that means it will start one hour earlier if
you're still
      on standard time.
      - Poll Results
   - V1
      - CR and Rec Status
         - Raymond: 4 testimonials submitted.  Will you write one Paul?
         - Paul: I'll look into it; maybe have games or emscripten people
         can look into it.
         - Matt: Will you write one Raymond as chair, as Chris suggested?
         - Raymond: Yeah, I'll write one.
      - New issues
         - Output channels of OscillatorNode
         <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/issues/2309>
            - Paul: we can just add a sentence
            - Raymond: Yeah, add one sentence like ConstantSource
         - 4 of 8 Outstanding issues
         - Output channels of OscillatorNode
         <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/issues/2309>
         - Improve definition of regular tasks processing.
         <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/issues/2302>
         - Paul: I'll take a look.  It will express the same thing in a
            different way.  No change to implementations.
         - Inconsistencies with "control thread state"
         <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/issues/2280>
         - Paul: I can take this.
         - Specify which task source is used
         <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/issues/2095>
            - Raymond: PR in progress
            - Hongchan: Is this implemented in FF?
            - [Raymond failed to capture, but generally FF can do something
            to make it work].
            - Hongchan: Has no plans on fixing it in Chrome.
         - Raymond:  This is really good work.  It's the closest we've been
         to Recommedation.
         - Raymond: And this is the 10th year since the first public draft
         in 2011-12-15.
         - Paul: I remember looking this all up when doing a WebAudio
         retrospective for the Web Audio Conference.
      - 2 PRs
         - Replace "queue a task" with "queue a media element task"
         <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/pull/2307>
         - Expose AudioBuffer to DedicatedWorker
         <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/pull/2289>
         - Raymond: One question
            - PauL: Met with Chris C and soundtrap about WebCodecs and
            encoding.  Doing heavy encoding and decoding.  Want less in-memory
            footprint of AudioBuffers (aka float32)
            - Raymond: PR is v1, but issues is in V2.
            - Paul: Yeah, we should move to v2.
            - Hongchan: Is this blocking them?
            - Paul: Yeah, but we're still figuring out what's needed.
            - Raymond: Make issue priority 1 on v2.
            - Hongchan: Is this about exposing AudioBuffer on workers?
            - Paul: It's complicated.  There's more work needed to work
            with webcodecs.
            - Raymond: So prio 1 on v2 because of api changes.
            - Hongchan: Want comment from Chris on PR about the future
            before we close it.
         - V2
      - Priority-1 issues
      <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Apriority-1>
         - Render capacity
         <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues/40>
            - Hongchan: No updates
            - Raymond: We should work out the API more completely,
            defining how it behaves; we shouldn't be completely
blocked by security
            issues yet.
            - Paul: We could return an array of the last N values to the
            user so they can do their own analysis.
            - Jack: That would be nice, because then people could do
            averaging and pick out min/max values over a time window
that they like.
            - Raymond: Just need something concrete for devs to look over
            and see if it works for them.
         - Render quantum size
         <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues/13>
            - Raymond: API mostly done, just need baselatency vs size
            - Raymond: FF always returns 0 for baseLatency?
            - Paul: Yes.  outputLatency reflects what's connected.
            - Raymond: Just need to specify the interaction then.  Probably
            something fairly loose as long as the values (in Chrome)
are consistent in
            some way.
            - Paul: Stefan Letz has a nice document on how to do buffering:
            https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-02158912/file/CallbackAdaptation.pdf
         - Headphone detection
         <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues/89>
            - Paul: Still investigating.  When it works, it's nice, but
            it's inconsistent
            - Hongchan: Do some work and all platforms have some api to
            expose info.
            - Paul: Main problem is when people plug in speakers into
            headphone jacks.
            - Honghcan: CrOS can detect this via impedance
            - Paul: Experience with windows is complicated.  Get an overlay
            asking for what's plugged in.  Answers change all kinds of
things including
            processing and latency.
            - Hongchan: we can at least expose what the platform provides
         - Input only / muted AudioContext
         <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues/83>
            - Raymond: I think we were going to change priority and forgot
            to do that.
            - Paul: No news.
         - Hard-sync of two oscillators
         <https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api-v2/issues/1>
            - Raymond: Ruth did some work on it last week.
            - Ruth: No updates.
         - Others?
            - Paul: New issue on raw audio recording.  SPN, AW can do it,
            WebCodecs will have something.
            - Jack: I think wav is pretty well handled with what we've got
            - Raymond: What about FLAC?
            - Paul: Yeah, that's in scope for webcodecs
            - Hongchan: What does FF support?
            - Paul: Opus,
            - Christoph: You can do webm with pcm inside using appropriate
            mimetype.
            - Paul: INteresting.  Violates mediarecorder specs. :-)
            - Paul: webm with riff is valid.
            - Christoph: that's my code to unwrap the webm container
            https://github.com/chrisguttandin/extendable-media-recorder/blob/master/src/factories/webm-pcm-media-recorder.ts
            - Jack: I've used it already, but haven't set aside the time to
            package up the results into a valid file. In general I
find the API makes
            sense
         - AOB
      - Raymond: Everyone should be on Daylight Time next week, so meetings
      back to their normal times.
      - Raymond: Poll to remain open for another week or so; we'll take a
      vote in the next meeting or two.
      - Paul: anyone who wants to talk about webcodecs, can contact me or
      Chris C.
      - Jack: (I'll add you to cc on future emails with Chris)

See you all next week at the normal times!