Re: review of contiguous IDL

Thanks to the reviewers for taking a look!

The changes have been merged and are now live.  Just in case, I added a
tag, pre-conversion-to-contiguous-idl, to mark the point just before the
merge so we can go back and look at the old version in case we notice
something is missing or changed inadvertently.

So now you have no excuse for fixing all the outstanding v1 blocker issues!
;-)