Re: New Draft of Web MIDI Spec?

Hi, folks–

Update: the new publication date for the Web MIDI API is next Tuesday,
17 March 2015.

The spec is prepped and ready to go [1].

Background (skip if you aren't interested in process details):

I told you last month that I'd be publishing it then, and since that
didn't happen, I wanted to explain why.

We're testing a new auto-publication system at W3C, called Echidna
(along with a new publication-rules checker, Specberus). This will allow
WG chairs or editors to publish normal updated working drafts (not yet
FPWD, CR, PR, or Rec status) whenever they want, without going through
the staff contact or webmaster; of course, normally the staff contact
will still handle this, but the system will make it much easier.

This system is still in alpha phase, but it has been used to publish
specs by the Web Performance WG, and since our publication wasn't
particularly time-sensitive, I thought it was a worthwhile effort to
attempt to do so for the Web MIDI API as well. After several attempts,
however, I found that there were some bugs that still need to be ironed
out for it to work for us. (If you're interested in those details, I can
share them in the proper forum.) Those bugs are still being fixed, and
rather than delay the spec publication further, we've decided to publish
the spec manually, the old-fashioned way.

Though I wasn't able to get it working this time, I'll keep working with
the publication team so we can automate it. This is a worthwhile
investment in time, since it will be a big improvement on W3C's
publication workflow; early testers of this system will encounter bugs,
but that helps the publication team know what needs fixing.

I'll keep you posted on the status of this improved workflow.

(Not all the delay was working with this new publication system; all
last week, I was at CSUN, a web accessibility conference, where I demoed
a data visualization tool for blind users, which among other features
uses the Web Audio API to "sonify" line and bar charts. Happy to demo it
to anyone interested. This week, I was catching up on other delayed
work, and recovering from the inevitable conference cold.)

In the meantime, Chris Wilson and Takashi Toyoshima have made several
important edits to the spec, which will be reflected in the updated TR
working draft. Chris will be sending a separate message about that, but
I'm assuming that the Audio WG still approves the earlier publication
approval, unless I hear differently before next Tuesday.

Sorry for the delay!

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-webmidi-20150317/

Regards–
–Doug