Re: Round Trip Latency test

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Stephen Band <stephband@cruncher.ch>
wrote:

> It's nothing to do with the UI really.

I understand that this wasn't in any way a test of UI, but in terms of the
goal of reducing latency, I'd have assumed that being able to match UI
closely (in response to input, e.g.) would be a goal and impls are some
distance of that (although we also have bad delay in touch inputs for
various reasons that are boring).

> You're doing well if you get less than 40ms out of a standard sound card,
> but if you use a good external audio interface you could see as low as 5ms.
>
> Above 15-20ms is when the ear starts to hear two distinct sounds, although
> it can be uncomfortable to sing and monitor with a latency of >10ms.

Thanks for the context.

> So I would say a good latency would be <10ms. But good luck getting there
> :)

Looks like we're gonna need it = )