Re: De-zippering

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 1:12 AM, Marcus Geelnard <mage@opera.com> wrote:

>  If we didn't have dezippering (in my mind the better choice), I see
> three outcomes regarding the less educated Web developers (who are very
> likely to have just copy/paste:d some code off the Web to start with):
>
>  1) They will not hear the glitch artifacts, and will not care, because
> it's non-critical for their app.
>  2) They will hear the glitch artifacts, be annoyed, google for it and
> will find an answer on stackoverflow, MDN or html5rocks, for example. If it
> takes more than 3 minutes of googling, they might even turn to the spec and
> check out how to control an AudioParam - so that might be a good place to
> add an advisory note.

2a) They will hear the zippering, not understand what's causing it or how
to describe it, and not be able to figure out how to google "web audio
sounds gronky" in a meaningful way.

> I still think that the primary purpose of a Web standard such as Web Audio
> is to act as a technology enabler. If there's a choice between ease of use
> and more power to the developer, I tend to pick the latter. Rationale: The
> former can be added on top of the API, while the latter can not.

If that were the choice here, I would agree with you.  We're not faced with
a tradeoff in power; either way (auto-dezippering or not), there's a clear
way to do the other behavior for an informed developer.

> If we're going to have parameter value smoothing, we should definitely
> have an on/off option, per AudioParam (you might even argue that you should
> be able to control the individual smoothing parameters). It's impossible to
> decide which param should have it or not based on common sense. I'd also
> argue that we should have all off or all on as default, for consistency.

 IIRC, the smoothing is simply a single parameter - it's essentially
calling setTargetAtTime.  I wouldn't bother offering control; you can
always call setTargetAtTime with a different value.