Re: [web-audio-api] Proper FFT / IFFT missing (#248)

2013-10-08 11:59, kickermeister skrev:

> I wonder why you didn't implemented a proper FFT and IFFT node for the
> Web Audio API. This would be definitively a great benefit for advanced
> audio processing within web browsers..
> As far as I've understand the code, you are nearly there with the
> AnalyserNode which obviously conducts a FFT. But this node doesn't
> provide complex numbers as one would need for audio processing in
> frequency domain. Eventually, the possibility to transform the
> processed buffer back to the time domain with a proper IFFT would be
> also extremely helpful!
>
> Any chance to implement this feature(s) in a future version?

Hi, not sure if I'm speaking for the entire group here, but I think that
your feature request is another sign of how the current version of the
Web Audio API can't possibly satisfy every need. There have been many
other feature requests with similar symtoms (i.e. "it's almost there,
why not expose it 100%?"), for instance: the ability to define more
customized filters (first order, second, ... order IIR filters, with
custom filter coefficients, etc), the ability to control the HRTF
transfer function in more detail, the ability to control the dynamics
compressor node in more detail, etc, etc.

I personally have high hopes for making the ScriptProcessorNode a first
class citizen, with Web Worker based processing etc, which would enable
all of these (and more) features to be implemented just the way you
wish. I think that most of us here agree that improving the
ScriptProcessorNode is an important change to the Web Audio API, but it
will most likely be part of a later version of the API (at least that
way we can focus on getting it right instead of rushing something out
that's not really finished).

As for the feared lesser processing power of JavaScript; I don't really
think that it will be a problem.

/Marcus

--
Marcus Geelnard