Re: Vote on the data race issue and Gecko shipping timeline

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 23:39:43 +1200
To: Chris Lowis <Chris.Lowis@bbc.co.uk>
Cc: "public-audio@w3.org" <public-audio@w3.org>
On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 9:18 PM, Chris Lowis <Chris.Lowis@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

> I think given the heat of this discussion so far, it would be unfair to
> say that "no-one cares".

Quite so, which is why I'm surprised proponents of the "freely share
memory" model haven't produced a detailed proposal :-).

I appreciate how frustrating it is to not be able to make progress, but
> given the strongly entrenched positions on some sides of this debate I
> think it's fair to say that the result of any vote will be divisive. While
> there may still be a possibility for us to reach consensus, or at least to
> have all options more clearly specified, we should hold off on the vote.
>
> Trust me, I want us to reach a decision on this issue and move on as we
> have so much work to do in other areas, but at this time of year (my
> co-chair is on leave for the next few days for example), we may need to
> continue to be patient.

The problem is that our implementation is blocked on this. It doesn't feel
fair to block our implementation indefinitely while we try to reach
consensus with other browser vendors --- who are already shipping their
implementation!

waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w  *
*