Re: New proposal for fixing race conditions

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhgari@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Marcus Geelnard <mage@opera.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Olivier,

>>> I would like to see some more facts on the table here too.
>>>
>>> I hope that I have shown that:
>>>
>>> 1) The speed impact of memcpy is negligible.
>>>
>>> 2) For the use cases I've considered so far the additional memory impact
>>> is temporary and transient, and shouldn't prevent any use case.
>>>
>>> I think that any concrete examples showing the opposite would be
>>> valuable to this discussion.
>>>

>> As I've mentioned before, it's not the cost of the memcpy() itself, but
>> the memory footprint.
>>
>> PCM audio data in an AudioBuffer is 20Mb per minute for stereo @44.1KHz.
>>  The cost is more than double for professional quality 96Khz data.
>>
>> In an audio analysis or editor application, it wouldn't be at all unusual
>> to examine or display minutes of audio at a time.  Typical songs are 2 - 4
>> minutes long, and it wouldn't be unusual to deal with editing multiple
>> songs at a time.  Even with a total length of audio data of only 10
>> minutes, we're already at 200Mb for the contents of the data.  Now think
>> about what happens when it's necessary to create copies of that data, and
>> we're now dealing with 400Mb!  Mobile devices are quite memory constrained,
>> with even some relatively recent devices such as the iPhone 4 and similar
>> Android devices having only 500Mb total RAM.  Keep in mind that not all of
>> this memory will be available for audio data, since much of it is required
>> for the resident system software, and other applications.
>>

> That's true, but there are two things to keep in mind.
>
> 1.  None of the presented solution proposals make it necessary to perform
> a memcpy in all cases.
> 2.  Such audio editing application need to handle the case where they
> don't have enough system memory at any rate in a graceful way.  There are
> many devices out there which can run modern web browsers but still have
> 256MB of RAM, which means that even in the current world, this application
> cannot keep the entire content of the song in memory at all times.  Such
> solutions can involve things such as storing PCM content in Indexed DB and
> only load parts of it into memory for processing at a given point in time.

We don't want to exacerbate an already difficult situation on these
devices.  You can't just say that these devices are low on memory already,
so why don't we waste a large amount more memory causing very visible
performance degradations!  You're creating many more opportunities for
real-world troubles in this area, and we know this will be this case.  And
all of this in order to address something which is a non-issue in the
real-world.

>   If we want to focus on this problem, there are a whole number of
> improvements which we can make to the API to make such kinds of
> applications possible on low to mid range mobile devices.

We have made enormous efforts at optimizing the code in WebKit/Blink for
both desktop and mobile devices. Given the constraints on the use cases
we'd like to solve, I think we've done a pretty good job so far.