Re: New proposal for fixing race conditions

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 11:00 AM, Marcus Geelnard <mage@opera.com> wrote:
>>
>>> If you're talking about pre-rendering sound into an AudioBuffer (in a
>>> way that can't be done using an OfflineAudioContext), I doubt that memcpy
>>> will do much harm. Again (if this is the case), could you please provide an
>>> exanple?
>>>

>> OK.  I want to load an audio file, perform some custom analysis on it
>> (e.g. determine average volume), perform some custom (offline) processing
>> on the buffer based on that analysis (e.g. soft limiting), and then play
>> the resulting buffer.
>>

> And I can add two more realistic use cases here:
>
> * at any stage analyze and display the resulting buffer as a waveform on
> the screen for an audio editor
> * generate AudioBuffer PCM data directly in JavaScript which then gets
> played back using an AudioBufferSourceNode
>
> Being required to copy large buffers of data is very inefficient.

With Robert's proposal, all three of these use cases can be achieved
without a single memcpy.  The only case in which his proposal for
AudioBuffer would memcpy is if you read back the contents of the buffer
after connecting it to an AudioBufferSourceNode.  So as a work-around, you
can do that after the expensive part of all three of these use cases has
been finished.

--
Ehsan
<http://ehsanakhgari.org/>