Re: New proposal for fixing race conditions

From: Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 14:18:05 -0700
To: Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com>
Cc: Marcus Geelnard <mage@opera.com>, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhgari@gmail.com>, "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org>, Jer Noble <jer.noble@apple.com>, Russell McClellan <russell@motu.com>, WG <public-audio@w3.org>
On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 11:00 AM, Marcus Geelnard <mage@opera.com> wrote:
>
>> If you're talking about pre-rendering sound into an AudioBuffer (in a way
>> that can't be done using an OfflineAudioContext), I doubt that memcpy will
>> do much harm. Again (if this is the case), could you please provide an
>> exanple?
>>

> OK.  I want to load an audio file, perform some custom analysis on it
> (e.g. determine average volume), perform some custom (offline) processing
> on the buffer based on that analysis (e.g. soft limiting), and then play
> the resulting buffer.

And I can add two more realistic use cases here:

* at any stage analyze and display the resulting buffer as a waveform on
the screen for an audio editor
* generate AudioBuffer PCM data directly in JavaScript which then gets
played back using an AudioBufferSourceNode

Being required to copy large buffers of data is very inefficient.