Re: channel layouts and up/down mixing

Channel identification is an issue that is currently being considered in the broadcast community. It is worth noting that Microsoft Wave Format Extensible Channel Mask can assist in identifying the required loudspeakers (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/hardware/gg463006.aspx#EMLAC), although the channel ordering can still be ambiguous and as Frederick has mentioned it does not currently support more recent speaker layouts such as NHK's 22.2. In the EBU we are discussing revision of the BWF to allow an extension of channel description meta-data to handle arbitrary channel/loudspeaker layouts as well as those defined by industry, and also sound field and object-based representations.

Whilst this may be beneficial in the future it is probably an over-complication at the moment. As recommendations and standards develop to improve channel identification perhaps it can be incorporated into web audio?

Best regards,
Chris

http://www.bbc.co.uk/