Re: Sites using webkitAudioContext only

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 3:12 PM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhgari@gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm not sure what data Google has internally, but the vast majority of
> test cases that we at Mozilla have heard about so far are small tech demos,
> almost all of them explicitly targeting Chrome.  I'm still unconvinced that
> the backwards compatibility is a real concern, I'm taking crogers word that
> it is a concern for Chrome.  Of course there is one major point where we
> disagree, and that is, I think it's OK for Chrome to break those tech demos
> by dropping webkitAudioContext, and help the quality of the Web Audio spec
> by doing that.  The few big players that are shipping apps/frameworks using
> Web Audio targeted at users is a solvable problem through evangelism.

I still don't understand why "let's get the unprefixed implementation
locked in, evangelize the heck out of it, convert developers over and  then
remove webkitAudioContext", and that plan seems so unacceptable to Mozilla.
 I'm feeling like instead, the only plan acceptable to you is "remove
webkitAudioContext, and then let's talk about all the other changes we'd
like to make to the unprefixed API", which seems like a great way to lose
any kind of momentum Web Audio might have.

I don't believe it is fair - on many levels - to pull out a big stick and
immediately beat developers who were early adopters of Web Audio with it.
 If you care that much about those "small tech demos", then whitelist them
in Mozilla to have a monkeypatch script injected into them.