Re: Sites using webkitAudioContext only

From: Marcus Geelnard <mage@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:15:11 +0200
To: "Chris Wilson" <cwilso@google.com>, "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org>
Cc: "Ehsan Akhgari" <ehsan.akhgari@gmail.com>, "Chris Rogers" <crogers@google.com>, "Chris Lowis" <chris.lowis@bbc.co.uk>, "Olivier Thereaux" <Olivier.Thereaux@bbc.co.uk>, "public-audio@w3.org" <public-audio@w3.org>, "Alex Russell" <slightlyoff@google.com>
On 2013-06- 01:32:34, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM, Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com> wrote:
>> As in many other areas that we've had this discussion over the past
>> year and a half - if Mozilla ships a webkit-prefixed property, I think
>> it's game over, >>and that prefix (and any associated oddities) are
>> going to be part of the standard forever.  It's not a question of
>> eventually removing it then.
>
> If this matters to you, then drop webkitAudioContext from Chrome.

I really have to +1 this (sorry)... As much as I love a clean and
consistent Web, the fact is (apparently) that today we have two different
APIs: the WebKit Web Audio API, and the Web Audio API. If we want to get
rid of the WebKit version, all parties should be on board and ditch it. If
not, I can't object to Mozilla (or anyone else for that matter) supporting
both APIs (anything else would be hypocrisy).

--
Marcus Geelnard
Technical Lead, Mobile Infrastructure