Re: Sites using webkitAudioContext only

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com> wrote:

> We are open to removing the old names from Blink; however, I expect we
> will begin by offering a clean unprefixed version, and work hard at
> evangelizing to move developers over to that standards implementation; we
> can then remove the prefixed version at some point in the future (after
> doing console warnings, etc., to deprecate its usage).

The problem is that this all needs to be done very soon.

Mozilla needs to ship something soon; we're hoping to ship in a release in
about 14 weeks. If we ship only the new names then a lot of existing
content won't work, even content that authors expect should work since they
used AudioContext || webkitAudioContext, or similar. People will complain
that our implementation is broken and get the impression Web Audio doesn't
work properly in Firefox. That is very damaging and takes a long time to
recover from.

So, I'm adamant that whatever we ship needs to be compatible with where
Chrome is going to be in 3 months, at least for authors who've done
AudioContext || webkItAudioContext. So if Google can't commit to removing
the old names from AudioContext in a Chrome release by then, I think we
need to keep them. (Retaining them in webkitAudioContext may be OK.)

q“qIqfq qyqoquq qlqoqvqeq qtqhqoqsqeq qwqhqoq qlqoqvqeq qyqoquq,q qwqhqaqtq
qcqrqeqdqiqtq qiqsq qtqhqaqtq qtqoq qyqoquq?q qEqvqeqnq qsqiqnqnqeqrqsq
qlqoqvqeq qtqhqoqsqeq qwqhqoq qlqoqvqeq qtqhqeqmq.q qAqnqdq qiqfq qyqoquq
qdqoq qgqoqoqdq qtqoq qtqhqoqsqeq qwqhqoq qaqrqeq qgqoqoqdq qtqoq qyqoquq,q
qwqhqaqtq qcqrqeqdqiqtq qiqsq qtqhqaqtq qtqoq qyqoquq?q qEqvqeqnq
qsqiqnqnqeqrqsq qdqoq qtqhqaqtq.q"