Re: Web Audio API uses British spelling

From: Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhgari@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 20:40:50 -0400
To: Olivier Thereaux <Olivier.Thereaux@bbc.co.uk>
Cc: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>, "public-audio@w3.org" <public-audio@w3.org>
On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 6:44 PM, Olivier Thereaux <Olivier.Thereaux@bbc.co.uk
> wrote:

> Ehsan,
>
> On 06/06/2013 06:17, "Ehsan Akhgari" <ehsan.akhgari@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I would be more than happy to change Gecko here, but given our past
> >experience, it seems impossible to change WebKit/Blink, so this ship has
> >probably sailed already. :(
>

> Wait, let's not make this our default response. While we have been
> struggling to make some changes, I think our baseline should be "these are
> draft features which may or may not have been used by developers yet, and
> probably were used behind the webkitAudioContext prefixed context.
>
> Until/unless Chris gets back to the group with data for significant usage
> and a case for the difficulty of changing the interface, I'd rather we
> considered the interface names fair game by default - at least for now.

I don't like to use this as the default response to these kinds of
problems.  These types of issues seem to keep coming up every few days on
this list, and I also hear a lot of complaints that are unfortunately not
reflected on this mailing list.  But I actually think that these issues are
very similar to the "alternate names" issue which has been heavily
discussed in the past, and I don't see why we would want to address one but
not the other.

Currently I believe the only way to get to multiple interoperable
implementations given WebKit/Blink's position is to not accept changes to
the spec which those engines will not adopt.  This doesn't mean that I
think it's a good decision to not fix these types of problems in the spec,
but I still think we need to move within the boundaries of what's possible
in practice.

Cheers,
--
Ehsan