Re: New browser engines - what does that mean for our work on web audio / web midi

Servo is a research browser engine which currently supports just enough of
web specs to render the most basic pages.  To the best of my knowledge
there is currently no audio support in Servo so it currently will not
affect our efforts here much.

Blink is a fork of WebKit so I assume is going to inherit the current
WebKit's Web Audio implementation, but given that Google will no longer
contribute directly to WebKit, it means that further changes to the spec
should now be implemented by three different browser engines as opposed to
two, which is great news as far as I'm concerned, as that helps us find
implementation issues faster.

On the question of prefixes it seems like Blink is not going to drop any of
the existing prefixes so for Web Audio it doesn't seem like anything would
change.  For Web MIDI, it seems like Blink will not ship a prefixed
implementation before it matches their new features criteria, which again
is great news in that we will hopefully be able to avoid a lot of the
current problems caused by WebKit shipping a prefixed implementation.

Cheers,

--
Ehsan
<http://ehsanakhgari.org/>