Re: Hi all.

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 3:53 AM, Marcus Geelnard <mage@opera.com> wrote:

> **
> Den 2012-11-21 14:26:03 skrev Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com>:
>

> I ran into this recently too.  It's due to dezippering in .value.  The way
> to avoid it is instead of setting AudioParam.value, call
> AudioParam.setValueAtTime( value, audiocontext.currentTime ).
>  setValueAtTime is not dezippered.
>

> I fail to find any mention of de-zippering of the value attribute in the
> AudioParam spec.
>
> For the AudioGain node there is still the somewhat vague sentence "The
> implementation must make gain changes to the audio stream smoothly, without
> introducing noticeable clicks or glitches" (see bug 17339 ). It only
> applies to AudioGain though, and to me it sounds as if it should apply to
> all kind of events, including setValueAtTime.
>
> /Marcus

I need to add more detail on exactly how the de-zippering should work.  The
intention is that this smoothing should be applied when some kind of UI
element is modifying an AudioParam value (by setting the .value attribute
directly).  In the simplest case, this could be something like a volume
knob or slider being adjusted, where we certainly do not want to hear any
zippering artifacts.

The intention for the "automation" methods of AudioParam is that the
parameters values should be *exactly* as they are specified (with no
smoothing/de-zippering).  It's important to be able to specify exact curves
to be applied for envelopes, grain windows, etc.  But, the
setTargetAtTime() method provides a convenient way to achieve de-zippering
there, if desired.

Chris