Re: Mutability of the decodeAudioData argument

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Jussi Kalliokoski <
jussi.kalliokoski@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 6:52 AM, Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com> wrote:

>>> "Neutering the buffer to be read-only" isn't currently defined or
>>> implemented anywhere, though.
>>>
>>> Instead of messing around with neutering, I also think that an
>>>>

>>> Don't you want to avoid having to copy the data?
>>>

>> First of all we need to determine if it's even necessary to worry about
>> potential raciness with modifying the ArrayBuffer *while* it's being
>> decoded.  At worst, I think it basically amounts to the JS code corrupting
>> the data so that it would simply result in a decoding error.  This is not
>> that much different from some JS code writing random bytes into the
>> ArrayBuffer before the decode operation is started.  In either case, it's a
>> pretty strange thing to do and a developer shouldn't be surprised if that
>> results in a decoding error.
>>

> Sure there is. Pretty much nothing in JS threads is allowed to change
> state during JS execution, otherwise it's considered a bug in the event
> loop and a violation of the HTML5 spec [1].

To clarify on this, our case is the other way around, so I'm not sure how
it should work, there are hardly any precedents of passing a mutable data
to an asynchronous function on the web.

However, I don't see any reasonable argument for not neutering the array
buffer. That way we are race-safe and memory-efficient. If the developer
needs a copy of the ArrayBuffer during the decoding operation (I don't see
why), (s)he can always explicitly make one before attempting to decode it.

Cheers,
Jussi