Re: How to write a sequencer?

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Peter van der Noord
<peterdunord@gmail.com>wrote:

> In the light of all the discussion about the limitations of the jsnode(at
> least for writing audio) i was curious about any ideas how i should write
> myself a sequencer using the native nodes.
>
> I need both a notesequencer (sends out frequencies mapped to the -1,1
> scale) and a triggersequencer (that can send out a single value of 1). I
> thought about having a jsnode scheduling a gainnode which has a
> buffersourceconnected to it that's playing a looped buffer containing just
> one value (a 1).

Hi Peter, I've actually done something like this although it's very much
unfinished and was written before we had an Oscillator  node.  Please don't
use it as a definitive guide, and I know there are bugs there, but still it
might give you some information:
http://chromium.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/samples/audio/wavetable-synth.html

I have a simple UI for it, but others could be written letting you draw
custom curves, etc.

For a monophonic subtractive synth you can create a single Oscillator node,
turn it on (with noteOn()) and just let it run forever, add an
AudioGainNode for the amplitude envelope, add a BiquadFilterNode (or two or
three...) for the filter.  You can control the monophonic note events by
"gating" the amplitude and filter parameters appropriately (something like
my example above).

Hope that helps,
Chris