Re: Thoughts about the AudioPanner

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com> wrote:

> "Panning" - as in stereo panning - isn't a clear-cut in a 5.1 surround
> sound system.  If you really do just want to control volume level, you
> could (via splitter/gain nodes/merger), but you'll miss the aural placement.
>
> The current AudioPanner is actually quite easy to use as just a simple
> stereo panner - in fact, I have a slide about that in my I/O talk on Web
> Audio: http://webaudio-io2012.appspot.com/#40:
>
> var panner = audioContext.createPanner();
>
> // default to straight ahead
> panner.setPosition(0.0, 1.0, 0.0);

> // remember, 0.0 is straight ahead: negative=left, positive=right
> panner.setPosition( newPanningPosition, 1.0, 0.0 );

Hi Chris, I'm going to jump in here.  Actually Peter is right about this
one.  Your technique using "newPanningPosition" does *not* actually achieve
equal-power panning because the distance from the listener is changing, and
the changing distance changes the attenuation.  In order to get equal-power
panning you need to move around a circle at an equal distance from the
listener.  You can see the nitty-gritty details in the spec here:
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/audio/raw-file/tip/webaudio/specification.html#Spatialization-section

I think this code will get you real equal-power panning for more musical
applications:
var x = Math.sin(0.5*Math.PI * panPosition);
var z = -Math.cos(0.5*Math.PI * panPosition);
panner.panningModel = webkitAudioPannerNode.EQUALPOWER;
panner.setPosition(x, 0, z);

So Peter's point is well taken.  The parametric control is via cartesian
coordinates which is perfect for games and is taken directly from OpenAL.
 Other game audio APIs also use this approach, so it's well accepted in the
industry.  For music, it's not as convenient.  To make this more inviting
for music, one flexible approach would be to expose the "azimuth" (and
"elevation") (both of which are explained in the specification) as writable
AudioParams.  That way the panner can be controlled in either way.