Re: Advice on the convolver node

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 3:18 AM, Chris Lowis <chris.lowis@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

> On 20/03/2012 17:18, Raymond Toy wrote:
>
>>    My question - is it possible to set the convolver buffer from a
>>    regular javascript array? For example to generate the impulse
>>    response using Math.sin()?
>>

>> Yes, you can do this.  Something like the following should work:
>>

> Hi Raymond,
>
> Thank you for your advice! I've been trying to get to grips with the
> convolver node by reading the source in Webkit, but I'm having a little
> trouble understanding whether I can do what I want with it.
>
> I'm attempting to create a "ring modulation" effect. In the time domain
> I'd like to multiply the input signal (an audio buffer node) with a 30Hz
> sine wave. I thought I could achieve the same in the frequency domain using
> a convolution.

Hi Chris, ring-modulation or amplitude-modulation is a type of "non-linear"
effect and so convolution will not be the appropriate technique for
achieving it, since convolution is for "linear" effects.

In the meantime, if you want to play with AM-type effects you could
modulate the .gain attribute on an AudioGainNode by using
the setValueCurveAtTime() method (with say a 5-second long 30Hz sine wave).
 This can get you started, but what we really want is to be able to connect
outputs of AudioNodes to an AudioParam, which is not *yet* possible.  This
will be important for synthesis...

Cheers,
Chris