Re: MIDI files and streams

On 3/5/12 1:29 AM, James Ingram wrote:
> I think the web should support MIDI at two levels:
> 1. it should support the playing of SMFs in the <audio> tag
> 2. it should support the Javascript interface I'm rooting for.

I agree.

> I think that Phil is talking about an SMF authoring tool,

I was talking about the JavaScript API. It should be possible to write
an SMF player, as well as sequencers, drum boxes, etcetera, on top of
the MIDI API. If not then the API needs fixing.

But I also agree with you that built-in SMF support in an <audio> tag
would be very handy. So even though writing an SMF player in JavaScript
should be possible, it may not be necessary. Writing an SMF player is
just a Use Case that could guide us in the design of the API.

 > what he is saying here is that timestamps need to be supported
 > not only by output devices, but also by input devices. Is that right?

Yes, that is needed in order to capture a performance accurately. It
could be written to SMF or just stored and played back from memory.

Phil Burk