Re: ACTION-33: MIDI charter proposal

Hi folks,

As to be expected of such a long-lived protocol, MIDI actually contains
various mechanisms for synchronising multiple devices.

A brief of overview (deeper study is left to the interested reader):

MMC, MIDI Machine Control - based around controlling recording devices.
Start, stop, pause, rewind/forward, cueing, record arming/punch in/punch
out, locate, eject (!). This mechanism also supports querying external
devices for their "identity" (response data is custom per
manufacturer/device).

MIDI beat clock - this is the most common device synchronisation method,
derived from good old analogue Sync 24.  Has basic start and stop signals
(there's a continue facility too but that is pretty rare in the wild) and
the running tick sent at 24 pulses per quarter note.

MTC, MIDI Time Code - derived from SMPTE synchronisation. Sent in as sysex
in quarter frame intervals while the clock is running (can also be sent
whilst devices are paused for relocating the playback positon). It notifies
downstream devices of the current time in minutes, seconds and frames (and
has an internal 2 bit flag to define just what frame definition is being
used: 24, 25, 29.97, 30). Can obviously be received "backwards" if the
controlling device is rewinding.

SPP, Song Position Pointer - like MTC but defining the current time in
terms of 16th note beats, and thus sent every 6 beat clocks. Song top is
defined as beat 0. SPP is never found in isolation, always in conjunction
with MIDI clocks as they are too infrequent to support strong
synchronisation.

Obviously, all of these protocols are subject to a certain amount of clock
jitter depending on the MIDI data transmission rate and saturation level of
the serial communication line.

With regard to any MIDI API specifications, supporting just MIDI beat clock
initially would satisfy most initial device inter-operation use cases.

You're right that the MIDI ticks you mention, James, are just for SMF
parsing purposes, being an integral multiplier of a set tempo and allowing
each message to indicate it's desired timing with an tempo-independent
integer. These ticks are never transmitted. Nor do SMFs generally clocking
messages, these being generated as needed by the DAW/host as needed.

I hope some of this is helpful/comprehensible to someone!

Cheers,
Anthony.