From: Joseph Berkovitz [mailto:joe@noteflight.com]
Sent: Fri 2/17/2012 1:25 PM
To: Olivier Thereaux
Cc: public-audio@w3.org
Subject: Use Cases and Requirements priorities: UC 6 and "Playback Rate"

Hello everyone,

Sorry to have been unable to participate for most of this week -- and thank you Olivier for the prodigious work of mapping and summarizing.

I think this is tremendous progress and have a few points in response.

1. As you can imagine I would like to see UC 6 (Wavetable synthesis) elevated to a "high" priority, not only because I think it enables a substantial landscape of music applications but because I believe it implicitly supports the musical aspects of UC 2 (game with audio and music -- emphasis mine).

2. I think a significant mistake has occurred with respect to the requirement "Playback rate adjustment". This phrase has unfortunately carried two different meanings in our discussion and I think we've become confused:

    A. Upsampling/downsampling with an arbitrary time factor, resulting in proportionate changes to *both pitch and speed* -- commonly thought of as simply "playing a sample faster or slower".  This is an extremely basic and important function in audio processing, and is already implemented in Chris Rogers' API as the "playbackRate" property of an AudioBufferSourceNode. It requires little more than interpolation between nearby samples and is very easy to standardize. It does not introduce artifacts.

    B. Adjustment to *only* the playback speed of audio media, with *no effect on pitch*.  This is a much fancier and more complex type of transformation since interpolation does not do the trick: one must add or delete audio material in a way that manages to preserve the subjective impression of the original sound. There are multiple competing algorithms that tend to introduce different kinds of artifact. I demonstrated this function at the F2F.

Unfortunately we've conflated the two requirements.  The "playback rate adjustment" required by UC 6 is the very simple case (A), while the one referred to in all the other cases is the complex case (B).  Let's try to disambiguate by renaming (B) as "speed shift", and adjusting the requirement name/definition in all the cases except UC 6.  (There is also a "pitch shift" that turns out to be very like (B) in terms of complexity)

3. When it comes down to the actual requirements, (not the UCs) the only missing requirement for UC 6  is (2A), the simple playbackRate adjustment already implemented in Chris's API.  Likewise, UC 2 (games) will need to make frequent use of (2A) to vary the pitch of sound effects in a simple way (e.g. collision sounds between objects of varying sizes).

In summary, I have a simple request that I will probably keep on repeating: let's keep the "simple" playback rate adjustment (2A) as a high priority requirement.  It is going to be a basic function of UC 2, and it is the only thing standing in the way of UC 6.  I think (2B) is safe to put on the back burner.

Thanks!

Joe Berkovitz
President

Noteflight LLC