Re: oscillators and the Web Audio API

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 8:33 AM, Alistair MacDonald <al@signedon.com>wrote:
>
>> I think going back-and-forth between the Native Graph and the
>> JavaScript Processing Nodes is going to be quite expensive,
>>

> I think it's better to try things out and measure than to make assumptions
> about performance. The relative cost of those transitions will depend very
> much on the implementation, and decisions about buffer sizing etc.
>
> Also, devices have multiple CPU cores now. My ProcessedMediaStream
> implementation spreads the processing for different streams across all
> available cores. It's especially hard to predict performance in that kind
> of configuration.

How so?  If I understand correctly, your ProcessedMediaStream object
roughly corresponds to an AudioNode in my API, except that the processing
always occurs in a worker thread with the actual DSP happening in
JavaScript.  So, for example, if you have a processing graph with sixty
different nodes (not an unreasonable assumption) does that mean there will
be sixty worker threads which are created?

Chris