Adding MIDI APIs to Audio WG Charter (was: MIDI enumeration (was: Re: getUserMedia use cases))

Hi, folks-

After discussion with the MIDI Manufacturers Association, we resolved at
the Audio WG f2f to propose add a MIDI API to the Audio WG charter.

Chris Wilson has been championing this, and has offered to be one of the
editors of such a spec [1].

I believe that the MIDI folks would welcome such an API, based on my
conversations with them.  (Please correct me if I'm wrong, Tom.)  I also
think there is interest in allowing for rendering of Standard MIDI Files
(SMF), but that may be more a matter for an HTML spec (though perhaps
they could be rendered through an audio API?).

So, unless anyone in this group objects to this, I plan to amend the
Audio WG charter (subject to AC approval, of course) to include:
* connecting music controllers to the Web
* exposing bidirectional messaging channels to devices

(... or similar more appropriate wording).

This would be a separate deliverable from any audio API currently under
development.

Thoughts?

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2011OctDec/0027.html