Re: getUserMedia use cases

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:

> Hi, Robin-
>
> Thanks for following up on-list!
>

> On 1/30/12 11:39 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:
>

>> as you probably know (or not!) there is ongoing work regarding media
>> capture that is likely to be of interest to you. It is taking place
>> as part of the Media Capture task force, the email address for which
>> is public-media-capture@w3.org.
>>

> (FYI, Robin is one of the chairs of the Device APIs WG.)
>

>  We've been working on a use cases document which you can find at:
>>
>> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/raw-**file/tip/media-stream-capture/**
>> scenarios.html<http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/raw-file/tip/media-stream-capture/scenarios.html>
>>

> And the spec itself is here, right?
>  http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/**editor/getusermedia.html<http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/getusermedia.html>
>

>   I think that it would be quite valuable if you were to take the time
>> to make sure that what is being built over there works well for your
>> needs, notably by checking that your requirements are properly
>> captured.
>>

> As I mentioned on IRC, I believe we had discussed, a need not just for a
> microphone, but for multiple line-ins (lines-in?), including different
> mics, guitar pickups, etc.

> Chris Rogers, did I get that right?  Can we work on a scenario and some
> requirements for the DAP WG's Media Capture task force?  Olivier, Al, can
> we add this to the next Audio telcon agenda?

Yes, it would be good to have an introspection API to enumerate the
available audio devices for both audio input and output.  A built-in
microphone would be one such device.  Also commonly available is the
line-in analog audio input on a laptop or desktop computer.  And, of
course, any externally connected multi-channel USB or Firewire audio
devices.  Some of these can present eight (or more) simultaneous audio
input and output channels simultaneously.

It's important to not consider audio input in isolation, but also audio
output capabilities when enumerating the devices.