Re: Next teleconference : 6th June

Hi, folks-

On 6/1/12 11:17 AM, olivier Thereaux wrote:
> Philip,
>
> On 1 Jun 2012, at 15:41, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
>> We're not able to attend weekly teleconferences at this hour.
>
> We are not talking about a weekly teleconference, but a short series
> to cover the most difficult issues.
>
>> Of the 8 issues of the agenda [1] we only covered 1, but that is
>> still being discussed on the mailing list. While some things are
>> easier to clear up via phone, it really seems wise to only use
>> teleconference time for things where we've failed to reach
>> agreement on the list, where all issues can be discussed in
>> parallel.
>
> If I were cynical I could have picked 10 of the editorial/typo issues
> and claim that calls are awesomely efficient. But as Chris mentioned
> on the call, we picked the most difficult of the list, and managed to
> reached a tentative resolution in 30 minutes or so.
>
> True not everyone could be on the call and as a result the
> discussions are still ongoing, but it is undeniable that the call
> helped us make progress in a way that two weeks of back-and-forths on
> the list certainly wouldn't.

I strongly agree with Olivier here.  Teleconference are very useful, and
it's only an hour a week.

Telcons are good not only for the high-bandwidth, back-and-forth
technical discussion and nuance that email doesn't capture well, but
also for the socialization of a group, helping resolve tensions, and in
building consensus. (Not as good as F2Fs, but far cheaper.)  We're not
just trying to create a specification here, but trying to build a group
that can work together efficiently.

As I said on the call, we can always keep the conversation going via
email, but telcons help immensely.

>> (A bug tracker would be even better, though.)
>
> I'm happy for us to look into it. Doug, Thierry, could you talk to
> the systems team and get an idea of how hard it would be to migrate
> our tracker issues to a public bugzilla instance? Knowing if they
> have a tool to migrate automatically would help us decide if it is
> reasonable to consider the switch at all.

That's a reasonable idea, and I've asked our Systems Team to look into
it.  I'll let you know what they say, but I suspect it shouldn't be too
hard to export and import issues, if Bugzilla has any kind of API.

Regards-
-Doug