Re: Group rechartering update (Was: [Agenda] W3C Audio WG Teleconference, 23rd May 2012)

On Wed, 23 May 2012 18:25:14 +0200, olivier Thereaux
<olivier.thereaux@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Philip,
>
> On 23 May 2012, at 16:28, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
>>
>> The timeline for Web Audio API looks very optimistic. Some groups
>> require two independent implementations passing a test suite before
>> going to REC
>
> That's the W3C process rules, indeed.
> http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#cfr
>
>> and I believe this is a good model to follow. Given that we don't know
>> of work on a second implementation or test suite being started, I'd be
>> very surprised if we could reach that point only a year from now.
>
> There is an early test effort which Chris Rogers mentioned a few times
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-audio/2012AprJun/0216.html
> but I agree the process will take time, and we haven't heard much from
> the group members planning a second independent implementation yet.
>
> Can you think of a scenario or two, and the kind of timing which would
> result from it?

This is extremely hard to estimate...

Taking the video section of the HTML spec [1] as an example of a spec that
defines things in the detail necessary, the green sections are for Web
authors and the rest is implementation requirements. The Web Audio API
spec currently consists mostly of the kind of information that would be
authoring information in HTML. Assuming that the proportions will be
similar to be sufficiently well defined to write a test suite, the Web
Audio API spec will need to grow to several times the current size. I
can't guess how long time that will take, perhaps Chris is in a better
position to guess.

Implementation will of course need to start before the spec is perfect,
because implementation and testing experience is the only way to find all
bugs. In the best of worlds, we could start implementing a subset of the
API before the end of this year, but I'd be very surprised if that didn't
lead to a new cycle of spec feedback and changes over a long period of
time. To compare with HTML, we've already been working on HTMLMediaElement
for 5 years and things are still changing in the spec and implementation
as part of this feedback cycle.

[1]
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-video-element.html

--