Re: MediaStream integration

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com> wrote:

> So for the multiple output case, your .stream attribute could be a
> MediaStream with multiple MediaStreamTracks (one per output).

That's a good idea :-).

>  But I think it would be more flexible for the API to allow finer-grained
> control, tapping into individual outputs which is possible if there is an
> explicit destination node representing a MediaStream.

But that would be possible, just by creating a node (say a DelayNode),
connecting the output to it, and taking its stream. Or on the MediaStream
side, extracting the desired track and constructing a new MediaStream with
that track.
http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/getusermedia.html#dom-mediastream

I think it's important to maintain the ideas of "nodes" and "connection" so
> that in the simplest case the diagram is a "source" node and a
> "destination" node with a single connection shown as two boxes:
>
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/audio/raw-file/tip/webaudio/specification.html#ModularRouting
>
> In the case of a stream sending to a remote peer, then it seems to make
> sense to have a specific node representing that destination.

But this node doesn't represent an actual destination. It's just a
placeholder object that doesn't correspond to anything in the author's
mental model. It's not a PeerConnection, or a media element, or anything
that consumes a MediaStream. It's just glue.

I think it's logical to think of the MediaStream as the output arrow(s) so
that you have an AudioNode (source node), its output MediaStream (arrow),
and say a PeerConnection (destination node). And it's simpler.

>>> I think so, if I understand you correctly.
>>>

>> Let me clarify what you'd be agreeing to :-). It means, for example, that
>> if MediaStreams get the ability to pause without dropping samples,
>> AudioNodes must be able to as well.
>>

> That's not quite how I think about it.  Currently the HTMLMediaElement and
> the MediaElementAudioSourceNode are distinct types.  One represents a
> high-level "media player" API, with networking and buffering state,
> seeking, etc.  The other is an AudioNode, implementing the semantics of
> being a node (being able to connect() with other nodes, and having specific
> numberOfInputs, numberOfOutputs).  I believe that it's a good principle of
> software design to separate these two concepts - think "loose coupling and
> high cohesion"
>
> I think we need to keep this distinction in mind with MediaStream as well.

I don't understand how that's related to my point.

than others?" [Matthew 5:43-47]