Re: MIDI in Web Audio

> So MIDI messages go over HTTP? Isn't latency pretty bad that way?

I have done this before:

USB MIDI > JAVA > Apache & PHP > JavaScript

I was using it to turn CC dials in to control a 3D landscape. The latency
was very good locally (sub milliseconds). But very  inconsistent across the
internet (as expected) which was sometimes quick but usually too slow to be
called "real-time".

Obviously HTTP MIDI is no kind of long-term solution and as Chris Rogers
points out, the device spec is probably the best way forward. It would also
be good to see someone develop MIDI-based browser plugins to test how such
things might work in the future, such as device recognition,
master-controller assignment, channel routing etc.

Even so Olli, I wanted you to be aware that a local HTTP-based MIDI
interface was in fact fast enough for a real-time music performance. The
latency was typically around a millisecond, which is actually 32 times
faster than my software synthesizer can turn my MIDI data into sound. :)

-- Alistair