Re: Hi, welcome to join the Art & Culture (Museums) On The Web Community Group!

Dear all,

Now that we have a reasonable number of participants in the group (43 at
the current time), I'd like to provide an introduction and the view of the
Getty Trust on the questions that Angel has prompted us all with.

I'm Robert Sanderson, Semantic Architect for the J Paul Getty Trust -- the
organization that oversees the Getty Museum and other CH programs in Los
Angeles, California.  My role is primarily around the engagement with
standards, and their adoption within the organization to ensure that our
digital infrastructure is capable of providing usable and valuable content,
in forms that work effectively for the art and cultural heritage
community.  I have been a long time participant in standardization efforts,
including with the Library of Congress, ANSI/NISO, IETF, IIIF, and (of
course) the W3C.  I was co-chair of the Web Annotation working group, and
am co-chair of the Open Annotation and JSON for Linking Data community
groups.  My interests are focused on the technical specifications side and
ensuring that they can fulfill the many and varied use cases in our sector.

To the questions:

1)       where should we carry on the discussion, github, wiki, mailing
list?

In my experience, the mailing list is great for exploratory discussions and
generating a shared understanding of the scope and intents of our efforts.
Once we have more specific outcomes in mind, and issues that we need to
keep track of, then the organizational capabilities of github have been
invaluable.

2)       Would you like to have regular/irregular teleconfs?

I think that calls would be useful for getting things started, and that
monthly would be appropriate interval at this stage.

3)       Next steps for the tech work, related W3C activities review, call
for use cases/requirements, gap analysis, technical idea proposals, etc

Identifying areas where web standards would be beneficial, and are either
lacking or in need of additional supporting best practices to be
appropriate for the domain.

In particular, areas in which we are attempting to make progress include:
  * the connected and coherent description of artworks and their
provenance, using Linked Data (e.g. linked.art) and JSON-LD
  * the provision of images of art, and in the future time-based media,
using non-W3C specifications from the IIIF community ; the IIIF work fills
a need that we cannot provide via W3C solutions alone and alignment would
be highly beneficial
  * the engagement of the user with the content, via Annotations and other
social media
  * the decentralized and transferrable management of the identities for
artworks and the people, places, concepts and timeframes that surround them
  * the discovery of the above resources, in a fair and participatory
playing field

4)       Group promotion for broader global participation?

Yes :)  At TPAC, one idea was to hold a W3C workshop to bring together the
various domain stakeholders and technical experts for a discussion around
use cases and areas of need, following the patterns established for
position papers and broad inclusivity.  I think this would be a great way
to generate enthusiasm and move discussions forwards.

5)       A chair or co-chairs for this group?

I think that co-chairs are useful, particularly once we've established the
direction and can select people who are have the appropriate interests,
skills and institutional mandate to spend the time.  I'm happy to help take
the lead in ensuring we make progress in technical areas, should we go in
those directions.
(Or ... "I volunteer as tribute.")

Many thanks all, and I look forwards to others joining in with their intros
and ideas!

Rob

P.S. Yes, the Getty (being both its collections and its community) is safe
from the fire raging near by in Los Angeles!

Some links from the above:

IIIF:  http://iiif.io/
Web Annotation: https://www.w3.org/TR/annotation-model/
Open Annotation: https://www.w3.org/community/openannotation/