Re: Argument for keeping proposed ARIA caption and legend roles separate

Hi Jon,

Again, while I mentioned on the call I’m in favor of a single role, as I said in my previous email I’m not as concerned about that, as much as I am about the fact that the definitions for these roles are different, especially regarding the bullet points I listed.

From: "Gunderson, Jon R" <jongund@illinois.edu>
Date: Friday, September 6, 2019 at 5:02 PM
To: Scott O'Hara <sohara@paciellogroup.com>, ARIA Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Argument for keeping proposed ARIA caption and legend roles separate

Scott,

I am one of the authoring advocates in the group, so anything we can do to be less confusing to authors the better.

Role names like ASSOCIATIONLIST is designed to be less familiar to authors to keep them for using the role at all.

Authors already are confused about how to use ARIA and we all know there is a lot of bad ARIA in the wild.

That said I think the CAPTION and LEGEND labeling techniques are really important and will be used a lot by developers, so authors can use more natural ways to label grouping and tabular roles, without having to use aria-labelledby or aria-label.

So if we want authors to think more like programmers then we can use just one role, but if we want authors to use more familiar terms and concepts from the HTML spec then I vote we keep the two roles, even if they programmatically do similar things for albeit different sets of roles.

Jon