RE: Radio and check boxes inside the table

I think the problem Siri raises is that the assistive technology is not using just the accessible name available through the Accessibility API, but also providing additional table header information, so information is being spoken twice.

What can the author do to suppress the table header information from also being read, when the control already has a label.

Jon

From: Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@levelaccess.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 5, 2019 11:32 AM
To: Schnabel, Stefan <stefan.schnabel@sap.com>; Sina Bahram <sina@sinabahram.com>; 'sirisha gubba' <nsfsiri2014@gmail.com>; 'ARIA Working Group' <public-aria@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Radio and check boxes inside the table

That’s true.

If you want browsers to do this, then we need to add all of this to the AccName algorithm. At present there is nothing like this, and I’m not convinced we need it. Double speaking is annoying at times, but I’ve seen too many examples in the past when table formatting is not reliably conveyed by the screen reader and implicit labels for form fields placed within column headers are not in the correct reading order and appear nowhere near the form field that needs to have a valid name. In these cases it is nearly impossible to identify what goes where.

Tables are tricky too, such as the cases where there are complex data tables with multiple column headers. I think these are rabbit holes where it is simplist to simply add a title attribute to the form field in question and add an accessible name. This works on touch devices too right now. ATs can then be programmed to ignore name and description property duplication so that only one is announced. I don’t think this should be overly difficult.

All the best,
Bryan

Bryan Garaventa
Principal Accessibility Architect