Re: Are role values case sensitive?

The short answer is that yes, the roles are case sensitive. The longer
answer can be found in Section 9.1.2 of the ARIA1.0 specification, which
states:

"The applicable WAI-ARIA role is the concrete WAI-ARIA role whose name
is matched by the first token in the sequence of tokens in the role
attribute
value
  which matches, on case-sensitive comparison, the name of any concrete
WAI-ARIA role."

Interestingly, Section 9 Quality Assurance has been dropped in ARIA1.1,
possibly because it included informative guidance as well as normative
requirements. The case sensitivity is still relevant in practice though,
as you've discovered.

Léonie.
[1] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria/qa

--