W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-aria@w3.org > May 2018

AccName Prototype Updates

From: Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@levelaccess.com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2018 00:11:11 +0000
To: ARIA Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>
Message-ID: <BN7PR03MB365093E5DA16DDBBC6F0ED95F29E0@BN7PR03MB3650.namprd03.prod.outlook.com>
Per the last Caucus discussion, I've updated the AccName Prototype code at

I didn't have time today  to get to the spec text changes, but coding this helps frame in my mind what is missing in the algorithm, so I'll likely be able to do this next Monday before I head out.

E.G Here are the coding changes in the prototype regarding the logic processing.

		if (ownedBy.ref) {
			if (isParentHidden(refNode, document.body, true, true)) {
				// If referenced via aria-labelledby or aria-describedby, do not return a name or description if a parent node is hidden.
				return fullResult;
			else if (isHidden(refNode, document.body)) {
				// Otherwise, if aria-labelledby or aria-describedby reference a node that is explicitly hidden, then process all children regardless of their individual hidden states.
				var ignoreHidden = true;

As before, if the node referenced by aria-labelledby or aria-describedby is not explicitly hidden, then all children that are explicitly hidden will not be included in the computation. The above override only occurs when specifically referencing hidden nodes.

You can run this code on the prototype to validate this behavior, and please let me know if I've missed anything that we spoke of or if anything is working unexpectedly.


Bryan Garaventa
Accessibility Fellow
Level Access, Inc.
415.624.2709 (o)
Received on Saturday, 12 May 2018 00:11:46 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Saturday, 12 May 2018 00:11:47 UTC