From: John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com>
Date: Friday, May 11, 2018 at 2:05 PM
To: Aaron Leventhal <aleventhal@google.com>
Cc: Charles LaPierre <charlesl@benetech.org>, Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com>, Tzviya - Hoboken Siegman <tsiegman@wiley.com>, ARIA Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>, public-personalization-tf <public-personalization-tf@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Microsoft's ARIA annotations proposal

Aaron wrote:

> Personally, I would prefer utilizing existing ARIA attributes or adding 1-2 new ones...

A HUGE +1.

I am increasingly concerned about the movement towards adding more and more ARIA attributes to an already long list that many, if not most, content authors are not fully aware of.

We sort of get away with this when it comes to accessible widgets, as most code libraries today have ARIA baked into the mix, and the majority of developers get their ARIA mark-up "for free" when they use those libraries. But the number of developers I know who can competently include sophisticated aria mark-up to their scripted widgets is but a small percentage of those that I know.

Yes, most mainstream devs will understand and use things like aria-labelledby [sic], but I would wonder aloud how many developers that attended Google IO this week could properly explain aria-owns or aria-flowto (my bet? less than 20%), and overloading the ARIA spec with attributes that will need to be hand-authored into the *content* (as opposed to the widgets) will continue to add a heavy lift on the authors, who traditionally will avoid complexity whenever they can. The Personalization Task Force (for example) is contemplating adding an additional 30+ new author-supplied attributes (as either aria-* attributes or aui-* attributes) that I fear will be routinely ignored due to author burden, so anything we can do to reduce that burden and re-use existing constructs gets a huge vote of support from me.

JF