Re: CSS in Accessibility Name Computation (Was: a11y-outline available for Firefox)

Hi,

On 12/02/18 18:57, Bryan Garaventa wrote:
> I don't understand what this means though: "This means that there
> can be more than one label for a labelable element. These labels
> should be processed in source order."
>
> Are you referring to the DOM source order?
>
> Do you mean that both of these would be treated differently and have
> different names?
>
> <label>
> This is
> <input id="lbl" />
> </label>
> <label for="lbl">a test</label>
>
> As opposed to:
>
> <label for="lbl">a test</label>
> <label>
> This is
> <input id="lbl" />
> </label>
>
> Because determining source order will be very expensive from a
> processing perspective and unreliable in practice because this could
> relate to anything such as use within data tables.

Yes, this is exactly what I mean. Note that it is not my personal
opinion. This is defined in the HTML spec.

I can not really judge whether this is expensive or not. However,
browsers have to implement this calculation for HTMLInputElement.labels
anyway.

tobias