Re: Need clarity on listbox, menu, dialog, or something else

Thanks for the replies. I like the disclosure pattern but was leaning towards the non-modal dialog as I still want to contain the tabbing to within it. I’ve seen screen reader users get disorientated when they’ve not realized they’ve tabbed out of a pop-up. It seems as though there’s still some work to do to iron out the non-modal design pattern (https://github.com/w3c/aria-practices/issues/102), so I’ll go with the disclosure pattern with the enhanced region.

Francis

From: Matt King <a11ythinker@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 21:41
To: 'James Nurthen' <james.nurthen@oracle.com>, "francis.storr@intel.com" <francis.storr@intel.com>, "public-aria@w3.org" <public-aria@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Need clarity on listbox, menu, dialog, or something else

As James said, the menu and listbox patterns do not fit.

I agree that you could use a dialog,but that is unnecessarily heavy. Only use the dialog if it will overlay on top of other stuff and contain the tab ring.

I recommend the disclosure pattern.  That is sort of what BBC did, but on the element that shows the panel, they didn’t give it role button. Other than that, they did a great job with it. The only other enhancement I would recommend in that particular case is wrapping it in a region when it is expanded. They did put a close button as the last element, which is a very nice touch.

Matt