RE: Regarding selected cells within a static data table

If I understand Matt's position correctly, which is in line with my own initial reaction, the tabular structure should be assigned a "grid" role even if the controls for selecting cells occur elsewhere in the interface (i.e., outside the "table").

While this appears reasonable on first inspection, I would be interested in more details of the use cases.

From: Matt King <a11ythinker@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2018 12:33 PM
To: 'James Nurthen' <nurthen@adobe.com>; 'Bryan Garaventa' <bryan.garaventa@levelaccess.com>; 'ARIA Working Group' <public-aria@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Regarding selected cells within a static data table

Selected is specifically a widget state; it has nothing to do with static elements. That is how it is represented in accessibility APIs.

What does it mean to say a cell is selected in a static table? How do you change selection if the table is static? I think there is a confusion of concepts here.

We should not consider supporting aria-selected on elements that are not selectable.

Perhaps some more detail about the scenario could shed some light on how to represent the UI for assistive technologies.

Matt